IG General Investment Account Review
Description: IG is primarily a trading platform (and one of the best ones at that) but also has an investment account through which clients can deal in physical stocks and shares, including ETFs in the UK, Europe, US and Asian markets. If you do not want to choose your own stocks, IG also has a managed investment product called “Smart portfolios”, which are pre-made diverse portfolios with exposure to the global markets through shares, bonds, property and commodities. A good choice for traders also looking for a cost-effective way to hold long-term investments in a general investment account, stocks and shares ISA or SIPP.
Capital at risk
- Investments: Shares, ETFs, investment trusts & pre-made portfolios
- Minimum deposit: £250
- Account types: GIA, ISA, SIPP, derivatives
- Account charge: £24 per quarter
- Dealing fee: Shares £3 – £8
IG charges a flat custody fee of £24 a quarter (£96 a year) for general investing accounts. However, if you have more than £15,000 in a Smart Portfolio managed fund or place over three trades per quarter that fee is waived. Standard dealing fees are £8 for UK and £10 for US shares. Smart Portfolio fees are 0.5% – capped at £250 per year. Fund management charges are 0.13% and transaction costs are 0.09%.
- Free US stock investing – There is zero commission on US share trades and just £3 on UK share trades when you trade three or more times a month.
IG’s investment platform is the same as their trading interface so it will be familiar to their short-term speculators. It provides a good visual of investments with associated news and analysis.
- Low-cost investing account
- UK & international shares
- Pre-made portfolios
- Also provides access to high-risk investment products.
Research & Analysis